Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Quinces



These beauties came in my life the other day, and I must attend to them. I will be coming back to post about how I've prepared them! Do you get quinces in your parts? If you are local, there is a wonderful small orchard overlooking the Hudson river in Milton that has an orchard of old quince trees, among many others things. They are called Locust Grove Fruit Farm. They also sell at Union Square Market, and have been for 35 years! I hope you get some of their gorgeous quinces before they are all gone.


4 comments:

  1. I got my quinces already! Some I poached and ate with yogurt, some went into a delicious hot lamb and quince salad, and the rest I pickled. I plan to eat those with a grilled ham steak later this winter. A couple were green and ended up getting soft with black spots rather than ripening properly. Why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I recall you saying what you did with them. I think I'm going to follow suit and poach and pickle those I don't have slated for jelly and jam. I'm not sure why they get those black patches either…

      Delete
  2. I loved your previous recipes for quinces! I got my hands on about 15 lbs of them a few weeks ago, and spent a week smiling every time I walked through the kitchen. Now, I get to smile every time I open a jar of jelly or taste the membrillo I made. (I used the microwave method and oven method. Microwaving is MUCH faster and gives quite good results.)

    I think I need to plant my own quince tree. Do you know what variety of quince you got from the farm, or what kind(s) they grow? I'm in Madison, WI and our climate is fairly similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, thank you for letting me know! 15 lbs. is a lot! Don't they smell so very good? And thanks for the tip on the microwave. I'll have to try it.

      The variety I get are Orange. And I now have two of them growing in my yard for two years now. But still: no quinces!

      Delete