Monday, January 21, 2013

Sour Oranges


It's feast or famine over here! Sometimes I have a lot to say, and sometimes I don't, so I don't say anything. To be very honest, I haven't had anything to say because I had a lot of disasters in the kitchen last week. This is normal, I have to remind myself. Sometimes you just get on a roll of badness, and that's when you slowly step away from the kitchen, eat at a few diners, and take solace in the kitchen being clean for a few days. Which is exactly what I've been doing.

I looked at my gallery on Instagram the other day (@whatjuliate) and realized it was all gray and white. It's full on winter over here, and the temperatures just dropped drastically. So, I was really glad to get three boxes of Florida sour oranges in the mail the other day from my mother. She picks them from a neighbor whose tree is full and under appreciated. This has been happening for a few years now, and at first I was unsure of the worth of these guys. Now I know better. I look forward to their arrival. This year I had to remind my mother! Organic citrus is expensive, and some backyard fruit from Florida is always appreciated.

In the past, I have made these goodies from my sour orange haul:

Triple Sec
Sour Orange Cocktail Mix
Candied Peels (not a recipe, just a quiet rant)


I think this year I will make some sour orange syrup, and save the peels for more candying, of course! I've really enjoyed my candied peels this year. I can't wait until January is over so I can start eating them again!

Aside from the exciting delivery of sour oranges, I also received good news about my company, Half-Pint Preserves: my apple plum jelly was a winner at the Good Food Awards! It's a real honor for my little tiny company (I just sell to a few local markets) to be a part of such fine company. Check out this list of wonderful food producers, see if there are any near you and support them!

14 comments:

  1. Congrats on the award - well deserved! Surprised none of your Seville oranges go into marmalade..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's a good question, Laura. One that I meant to address is the post but forgot to. I'm not a huge marmalade fan (gasp!), and in years past I've made too much, and it sits around. I'll probably make a small batch to send to my parents and keep a jar or two for myself.

      Delete
  2. I treasured the three sour oranges I had last year. They do make such excellent candied peels! Congratulations, Jules, on your second GFA. I know from direct experience that it is well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shae!! Do you get Seville oranges, I wonder? I'm sure I asked you this already, but forgot!

      Delete
    2. We don't regularly see them here, but I have heard tell that this year our local Whole Foods is stocking them. Probably in part because of the preserving craze. :-)

      Delete
    3. Ah, yes, that craze-- ; )

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, Julia! I envy your orange bounty; enjoy it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. me too, congrats! especially for that beautiful image. and i completely understand the no kitchen entry, eating at the diner etc. a vacation is always a good move, regardless.
    m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael! Indeed, I'm wary to go back in there until I really feel it...

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the award Julia, that's great news!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Samantha!! I appreciate that. : )

      Delete
  6. Julia! Congrats on your Good Food Award win!

    Isn't citrus the best remedy for winter grays? Not only are the colors brilliant and sunny but that juice seems like just the cure this time of year.

    xo
    E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Erin! And thank you for the good wishes. x, j

      Delete