Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Apple Cranberry Crisp


After the fat and sugar and alcohol laden weekend (no complaints here!) I decided I should watch the sugar intake. I always buy too many apples (how can you not when huge baskets of big, beautiful Ida Reds are only $2. 99!) so to finish up the cranberry sauce from T-day I made another apple cranberry crisp. Only this time I tried to make it less buttery and sugary. It came out great, so great that I could only take one picture before devouring it and that's why it's blurry! Always take more than one picture. I had it with cream on the top yogurt which satisfied my decadent streak (or swath, if you will). The apples turned a pretty pink and cranberries added both sweetness and tartness.

Put three apples, not peeled, but diced into a greased glass baking pan (13x9). Add a half pint of cranberry sauce (which did have sugar). Make a crumb mix with 1/2 cup whole oats, 1/4 cup wheat flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and 1/4 cup oil. Sprinkle on top and bake for almost an hour at 375 degrees.

Baby Z helped me out. I gave him his set of play pans and sprinkled a little oat, flour, sugar, spice mix in one of the pans and gave him a wooden spoon. Instead of mixing it, he ate it all and chewed on the apple cores I gave him, and he made quite a mess. A lovely mess.

2 comments:

  1. Today Dec.2,09 Charlotte and Gary
    Gomes brought in some Jaboticaba
    berries. They taste a lot like
    muscadines. Once they brought in
    some Starfruit. Another day they
    brought in some lychee and longan.
    They are sorta like grapes, but
    different. Peel off the thin skin
    and then you eat a cloud berry and
    it has one large pit. Longans the
    same. Mamou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do they grow them? Jaboticaba is a mouthful! Reminds me of what we ate in St. Maarten.

    ReplyDelete