Saturday, October 10, 2009

Savory Winter Squash Bread Pudding

Another winter squash recipe that can be a main course, good for baby, vegetarian, and uses my miracle cooking ingredient: yogurt. I was doubtful of this, but it was delicious! I can't stress enough how wonderful a spot of nutmeg is with squash. I also can't talk highly enough of my friend the leek. Especially the local farmer's market variety, all muddy and fresh from the soil.

1 loaf of stale, hard bread (I used a baguette) cubed
1 winter squash, roasted, pureed
1 cup milk
1 cup yogurt
1 cup water (or chicken stock)
6 oz feta cheese
1 cup sauteed leeks
1/8 tsp nutmeg

Mix squash, milk, yogurt, nutmeg and leeks (which I sauteed in lots of olive oil and butter). Toss the cubed bread with the mixture. Put in greased baking dish (13x9?). Crumble cheese on top. Pour water or stock over all to moisten. Put in preheated 35o degree oven and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, or until it browns a little on the top, looks bubbly, but most of the moisture is out of the bottom of the pan, and hopefully saturated in the little cubes of bread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment